Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Random People

Who are these people?

Lenny Bruce (13 October 1925-3 August 1966) was a foul mouthed comedian and satirist who focused on social stigmas and taboos. He married a stripper, was once arrested for posing as a clergyman; was discharged from the Navy and was discharged for homosexuality. He honed his comedic skills as a stand-up as the master of ceremonies for a series of strip clubs in the San Fernando Valley (ironic, no?). He was banned outright from performing in several U.S. cities. The most humorous instance, however, was in Sydney, Australia. He took the stage and greeted the audience, and was arrested. His greeting was the modernly mild, "What a f***ing wonderful audience." He killed himself with an overdose of morphine.

He is referenced in a huge number of songs (this is the list on wikipedia), including this one.

This is now guesswork, but it is my opinion that the line does mean something, now that I know who Lenny Bruce is. He isn't afraid, and he threw it in people's faces. Reminds me of George Carlin in that respect.

Leonard Bernstien (25 August 1918-14 October 1990) was a composer and conductor. He is arguably one of the best conductors to ever live, if not the best. Also, he was a noted trailblazer in his area, bringing an unusually active and vibrant presence to his conducting. He did not kill himself, he died of pneumonia and a pleural tumor.

However neat he may be, I'm afraid that the only relation to the song (and Lenny Bruce), is that he shook things up. He was new, and different. The verdict here is that maybe R.E.M. where fans of his, but I don't see the connection.

Leonid Breznev (19 Decemeber 1909-10 November 1982) was a Soviet General Secretary from 1964-1982. He was your generally unremarkable oppressive, in the Stalinist tradition, Communist. If you were interested, he was the one who invaded Afganistan (never get involved in a land war in Asia!). He was succeeded by Gorbachev, a far more interesting and less depressing person. He about drank himself to death and was addicted to sleeping pills

My faith that I would find meaning in these names is rapidly diminishing. I have no clue what this dude is doing here.

Lester Bangs (13 December 1948-30 April 1982) was a music journalist. He was one of the best, and was generally caustic in his interview tone. There's just not much else, except he was part of a band for a short period, called Lester Bangs and the Delinquents. He also wrote for Penthouse and Playboy at various points. He killed himself with an overdose of OTC drugs.

I'm really not getting this one. I guess he's here because of a connection to music? Otherwise, I'm lost.

What are they doing in this song?

I can understand what Lenny Bruce is here for, he was someone who felt fine- other people were running around, and he was laughing. Leonard Bernstien was widely well-regarded, so I'm feeling this as a shout-out, not a message. Comrade Breznev is really puzzling me. Why mention a General Secretary? He wasn't even a revolutionary, like the others. If anyone has a thought, please let me know! I need help. Lester Bangs, I think is here for the same, or a similar, reason to Bernstien.

What does anyone else think? I don't have much confidence in any of these, with the exception of Lenny Bruce, I think I get that one.

Is there some significance to them that I'm missing?

Two of them ODed.
Three of them have a connection to music.
Two of them were profane and caustic.
Two of them were involved in the sex industry.
One of them ruled a country.
Three of them did drugs.
Two were leaders.
Three of them 'shook things up' in their respective fields.
All four of them are in this song.

I'm not getting anywhere with correlations. Any ideas? I'm stuck again.

EDIT: Just realized this- Their intitials are all the same. Does that have meaning? No idea, but it's really weird.
And this: Three of them have names deriving from Leonard.

Are they just random?

I don't think so. There are too many commonalities, even if I can't say anything for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment